Saturday, September 22, 2007

Simian Mobile Disco @ Empty Bottle 9.18.07

After seeing them in Boston in the completely unnatural setting, I was excited to be able to see them again a few days later at one of my favorite venues in Chicago. And I am not gonna complain about the free entry with RSVP and the free Budweiser Select, (shit i got drunk in an hour) and the ton of Redken hair product I seemed to leave the place with.
Negatives: Again, weird crowd. It was definitely more tolerable than the Boston show at the Avalon, but it was still awkward. It also didn't make sense for Flavorpill to close the RSVP list about a week earlier due to full capacity, but from what I could see, the s
pace was hardly at capacity. Simian Mobile Disco should be envoking the entire place to dance and have a good time, but there were only about 6 or 7 people dancing in the front. What the fuck? " People don't dance no more (uh huh) They just stand there like this (yeah!) They cross their arms and stare you down and drink and moan and piss (ok!)" -(the Rapture understands).
I still danced, even though I was probably being stared down at. I think SMD show might have been better at the Avalon. The crowd definitely seemed more appreciative and even though people might have been grinding or other ridiculousness, they still enjoyed themselves. The afterparty at Funky Buddha was quite entertaining, with the "hot body contest" (which was more like who wants to show their dick or tits contest)। The Simian dj set was pretty whack. I think it lasted about 15 minutes before they had to close the place down. WHACK. But its all good, i was drunk and probably being an asshole because that is what I am good at when drunk. (Ok lets not kid ourselves, when I am sober as well).

It's The Beat (The Teenagers Remix) - Simian Mobile Disco

1 comment:

Jon Sidwell said...

Hey thanks for the blogroll link. SMD are brutal.

I'll slide you into my blog links, look forward to reading your posts.

Sid
www.musicliberation.blogspot.com