Friday, September 21, 2007

CALVIN HARRIS @ Mercury Lounge, NYC 9.12.07

This day I was endlessly waiting for to arrive, finally did and it was more than I expected. My brave soul and companion, amanda flew to New York for Calvin's American debut. Having seen him 3 and 1/2 times (the 1/2 accounts for the time the douchebag bouncer let us in like halfway through the entrance until his set was over, fucker) in London, I knew what a great show this would be. Especially in such a small venue like the Mercury Lounge. Besides being surrounded by assholes who felt the need to compare who knew the most about Calvin Harris, I had a blast. (too bad these exact assholes were jealous of me when I made it clear that I had seen him several times before)
Reading other blogs and reviews of the show, apparently found the show to be entirely full of dancing machine concertgoers. I don't know if that was considered to be dancing to New Yorkers, but I am pretty sure maybe about 10 people were dancing. There was a lot of head bopping. COME ON PEOPLE! Its fun, ridiculous music that makes you want to dance like an idiot! Also irritating was the girl in the front row who looked like she was dragged there with her arms crossed the entire time, carrying the look of death. COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY! Of course another girl who was dancing hard was from CHICAGO, and knew how to actually enjoy ourselves. I danced so hard it was one of the most fun concerts I have been to, and definitely one of the best Calvin shows. The time I saw him at Camden Crawl may be comparable.
Afterwards, a bunch of people we met went to the afterparty at Happy Endings. Got to meet the band and hang out with them, minus mr. calvin himself. Lame. But it was fun. Got drunk. The bassist David and I are now bff. A good night. When they come back in early 2008, make sure you go see him. Its honestly a guaranteed GOOD TIME!



Merrymaking At My Place - Calvin Harris

Vegas - Calvin Harris

No comments: